Thursday, 31 December 2015

SHORT BOOK REVIEWS

This year has been exceedingly busy with school, extra curricular activities and events. Therefore, it has been quite difficult for me to fit in time to write reviews and now the New Year is upon us so I decided to write a few short reviews here. I’m going to be posting a lot today/tonight. Here are short reviews of books I’ve read in 2014/2015:

MY LIFE UNDECIDED BY JESSICA BRODY












Brooklyn Pierce is a fifteen-year-old girl who is constantly having trouble with her life decisions and is always managing to get her name in the headlines. She decides to create a polling blog where she posts choices she’s given – major and minor – and she allows society to decide what she does. What will her fate be now it is in the hands of society?

I personally really enjoyed this book and it’s one I will always treasure, definitely one of my favorite contemporary reads. The characters are slightly cliché but that is what makes the story so intriguing – the way the characters are weaved into this unusual storyline.



STRUCK BY LIGHTNING BY CHRIS COLFER











Actor, Chris Colfer has created a wonderful story about misfit, Carter and how he tries to reach his dream of working at The New Yorker as editor. With the help of his friends and the rest of the school population, he slowly but surely works his way to reaching his dreams.

This wasn’t the best book I’ve read and I know he has another series I’ll be starting in 2016 (The Land Of Stories). I read this one for school and I enjoyed it sort of when I read it but then I don’t think I’d read it again though.





SERIOUSLY…I’M KIDDING BY ELLEN DEGENERES











Ellen Degeneres’ book is all about her life, her tips and tricks, special moments in her life and short stories to make you laugh. From model secrets to a quite literal short story, Ellen’s book is sure to make your jaw ache of laughter!

I read this for school this year and I’ve read it before, each time it continues to make me laugh with Ellen’s witty remarks and cheeky word play. If you’re a fan of Ellen’s or just looking for a comedic book, look no further than her biography!



THE COINCIDENCE OF CALLIE AND KAYDEN BY JESSICA SORENSEN












Wow! What a mouthful of a title! A well deserved one at that! The story follows Callie, a girl that wishes to go unnoticed, so she is wearing baggy clothes, heavy makeup. Due to her weird appearance people were always making fun of her but she didn’t care. She used to be normal once, however life changed her in a brutal way.

Kayden on the other hand, is your typical famous quarterback who is dating a bitchy girlfriend. He is successful and everyone envies him. He and Callie are classmates now, yet he doesn’t even remember her until she saved him.

I personally adored this book; it is one of my all-time favorites and always will be. Full of fun, romance and a beautiful relationship between Callie & Kayden, this book is sure to rocket to the top of your list!



SPIDERWICK CHRONICLES BY HOLLY BLACK AND TONY DITERLIZZI











My childhood book series, full of fantastical creatures, unknown adventures and life beyond the human eye. This series will drag you into a world you didn’t know; taking you down twists and turns with new unusual creatures around every corner.

I’ve always loved the Spiderwick Chronicles, ever since I was at a young age and every time I read it, it gets better yet again! Simon, Jared and Mallory are three wonderful characters that help to bring this unknown world to life and go on adventures amongst it.



LOLA AND THE BOY NEXT DOOR BY STEPHANIE PERKINS












Lola is a rather quirky character, from her unusual outfits right down to her punk rocker boyfriend. Her life is organized and neat until Cricket returns from her past and changes everything. As the memories Cricket come back, her feelings for him begin to re-surface. Stephanie Perkins’ series continues, find out what happens to Lola and Cricket.

Once again Stephanie Perkins has written yet another heart-warming contemporary romance of which many will love. Lola and Cricket are one of my favorite relationships but Anna and Étienne only just top them. I could read this over and over again; it’s so relatable and such a fun read!



SHATTERED ROSE BY TAMMY L GRAY











Avery went to college with a warped self-image her mom established early in her life. She always reminded her about her weight. Avery learned to eat and throw up which caused her shame and guilt. Her roommate had issues, which caused her to drink which stemmed from her parents divorce. Jake was the roommate’s cousin and he had issues but was drawn to Avery, although he didn't want to be. He really controlled her emotions and then dropped her. Then Avery met Parker and he saw her for who she could be. He believed in her but she almost destroyed that relationship because of Jake. Avery had to come to terms with her choices and learn she was worthy to be loved for who she was.

I adored the story of Avery, Jake and Parker! The way that Avery connected with each of them was beautiful to witness but at most I loved how Parker saw her. How he saw her for the real her, in ways Jake couldn’t. I will definitely be re-reading this in the New Year!



WHISPERS THROUGH A MEGAPHONE BY RACHEL ELLIOTT












Rachel Elliott tells of Miriam, a young woman who hasn’t been a part of civilization for many years and when she finally opens up the door to the world outside, she realises the beauty of it all. Meanwhile somewhere else in town, Ralph is going through a hard time with his wife who is having an affair. Ralph’s son and his boyfriend are having some issues with their relationship.

This book was a variety of stories, it takes a while to get into them at first but once you’ve read about halfway through, it’s easier to understand the issues the characters face.



3 HARRY POTTER COMPANION BOOKS











Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them:
I found Newt Scamander’s book to be very informative and creative, filled to the brim with characters. Not to mention, I AM SO EXCITED FOR THE MOVIEEEEE!! I cannot wait to see the book come to life, especially after the release of the trailer! Who else is excited?
Quidditch Through The Ages:
Another book full of information about the Wizarding World’s favorite sport, Quidditch. After reading this, I know I for sure want to play Quidditch!
The Tales Of Beedle The Bard:
Multiple tales are in this book and it is featured in one of the movies too. My personal favorite was The Tale of Three Brothers, the story of how the Deathly Hallows became one. I loved the illustrations in each story and how diverse each storyline was.



I hope you enjoyed reading some short reviews of books I’ve read in 2015, there are still longer reviews to come!


Think Lovely Thoughts xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts