Saturday 10 November 2018

THE ROAD TO ATLANTIS BOOKS

Travelling is a truly wonderful and something I believe everyone ought to experience at least once in their lives. Whether you are being engulfed by the beauty of your home country or out exploring the many other spectacles this world beholds.

Earlier this year, I was fortunate enough to escape the Australian winter and soak up the rays of Turkey and Greece. My first trip overseas...and boy, was it unforgettable! So many beautiful places to explore around every corner and an abundance of special memories I’ll treasure forever.
If you’re a romantic like me, I’m sure you’ve heard of a little island in the middle of the Aegean Sea called Santorini. Ring any bells?

I decided to spend some time on this little loved up island and take a very special trip to the best bookstore in the world – deemed by National Geographic – Atlantis Books.

A Brief History
Craig and Oliver were vacationing in Santorini in the Spring of 2002, they’d finished their books and couldn’t find anything they liked in English at the local bookstores. Whilst on this trip, Santorini had cast an enchanting “spell” upon the men, thus giving them the idea to open a bookstore in Oia, Santorini. Thus, creating Atlantis Books!

The Journey
Arriving in Santorini, I knew the first thing I wanted to do was the infamous trek from Fira to Oia to visit this magical bookstore. And thus, the morning after I arrived, I woke at the crack of dawn to start the long 25 kilometre (15 mile) hike to Oia.

It was, without a doubt, the best decision I’ve ever made. Weaving my way through the streets of Santorini was beautiful, every corner turned introduced another world of wonder and fascination.

Karterados – Just a small town near Fira, plenty to see and do. It’s absolutely delightful, everyone is so kind and helpful.

Fira – Laneways lined with cobblestone paths, the sparkling caldera to the West and rows of authentic Grecian boutiques and restaurants to the East. There’s nothing quite like getting lost in this beautiful town.

Firostefani – a little village between Fira and Imerovigli, the view is truly breathtaking. If you head towards the caldera, you have the most amazing view of Santorini’s resident volcano, Nea Kameni.

Imerovigli – Yet another stunning part of Santorini, you look back whilst in Imerovigli, you can see the infamous white and pastel coloured buildings and the caldera stretching for what seems like forever. Moving towards the caldera, you’ll find the Church of Anastasi and Skaros Rock. Plenty of places to stop off at along the caldera to get a drink, highly recommend it – without a doubt the best iced coffee I’ve ever had was in Greece.

Oia – A picturesque Grecian landscape in a nutshell. Oia is the real tourist place in Greece, streets lined with restaurants, shops and tourists. Blue dome churches, about a million photographers and the Aegean Sea sparkling in the beautiful sun. Like literally, SPARKLING.


Now, if you know me, you know I’m hopeless with directions and here I was about to trek 25km through several towns with no data and not an ounce of knowledge of Greek. But I made it, and it’s all thanks to this fabulous post by Santorini Dave – thank you for not getting me lost!

When reaching Oia, my eyes didn’t know where to look. There was so much hustle and bustle, beautiful stores filled to the brim with handmade Grecian goodies. I was head-over-heels in love.

If you’re looking for Atlantis Books, do what I did and just keep popping into different shops/restaurants and simply ask. I can tell you now that 9 times out of 10, they’ll be more than happy to help you and you’ll eventually find the holy grail of books.

Reaching Atlantis Books
My oh my, what a sight to behold!
Never in my life have I cried out of relief, and this was the day I did. In the whole two-and-a-bit weeks I was overseas, this beautiful bookstore with floor-to-ceiling shelves lined with thousands upon thousands of stories, was all I truly wanted to see. And I am so overjoyed that I did!

When I finally recognised Atlantis Books, I was so so happy that after a solid 33 hours of travelling and an extra 3-4 hours of hiking that I’d made it! The outside of the store is bejewlled with so many things you don’t know where to look; from the touristy magnets and postcards to the beautiful wall art of shelves and the “Rent-A-Cat” sign, it’s a sight worth seeing.

Delving down into the underground cavern of the store, you step foot into every booklover's paradise. Through a small doorway comes a cave of high ceilings with stacks upon stacks of books, from your typical fiction, young adult and travel sections to books full of all types of poetry, Greek mythology and bilingual translations. The ceilings are covered in decorations, quotes from books and everywhere you look, there’s something new to witness. But for me, the best part of this store was the atmosphere. The people who work here, the resident dog – so gentle and so damn cute! – are so lovely, always smiling and so happy to welcome you into their little world of wonders!

I reckon I spent a solid 2-3 hours just exploring every nook and cranny I could. Finally, after much deliberation, I picked up two books...

Love Poems by Pablo Neruda


Now, there’s a very special meaning behind this book for me. Back when I first really fell in love with books, one of the first I read was Anna and The French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins – if you’ve been following my blog for a while now, you know how much I rave about and love this book. In Perkin’s novel, Étienne St. Clair buys this book for Anna at the Shakespeare and Company bookstore in Paris and later quotes it to her. (chapter 21, p.182) My all-time favourite book and a line from one of Neruda’s poems is mentioned in the book;

“I love you as certain dark things are loved, secretly, between the shadow and the soul.” – Pablo Neruda


Selected Poems by C.P. Cavafy

What book do you pick up on your travels? Something you’ve read before? Something rich in history? Something written in the language of the place you’re in?
As someone who loves poetry, I was all about buying a book by a Greek poet, and Cavafy is possibly one of the most well-known Greek poets.

And it doesn’t stop there! Up above ground, there’s even more to look at! There are even more books to choose from, and if you’ve picked up your book, there’s space to kick back and read with a stunning view of the caldera.



Atlantis Books, truly a place of magic.


Think Lovely Thoughts xo 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts