Saturday 12 November 2016

CARRY ON BY RAINBOW ROWELL

Rating: 4 stars

Goodreads Book Description:
Simon Snow is the worst chosen one who's ever been chosen

That's what his roommate, Baz, says. And Baz might be evil and a vampire and a complete git, but he's probably right.

Half the time Simon can't even make his wand work, and the other half, he sets something on fire. His mentor's avoiding him, his girlfriend broke up with him, and there's a magic-eating monster running around wearing Simon's face. Baz would be having a field day with all this, if he were here - it's their last year at Watford School of Magicks, and Simon's infuriating nemesis didn't even bother to show up.

Carry On is a love letter to love stories and the power of words - to every 'chosen one' who ever had more on their mind than saving the world...

My Review:
After reading Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell where Simon and Baz where Cath’s main relationship she focused on in her fanfiction, I knew I had to pick up Carry On and learn more about these characters.
I initially thought that Carry On would be a book of Cath’s fanfiction but unfortunately I was slightly disappointed to find out that it was the books that fictional author Gemma T. Leslie wrote.

As I began to read this, I was intrigued to see the original characters of Simon and Baz, instead of Cath’s interpretation. I will admit after the introduction to both characters, I often imagined Baz as Draco Malfoy and Simon as Harry Potter because of how similar the characters were. Many people have also seen some form of connection to J.K. Rowling’s characters but have loved Simon & Baz nonetheless.

The first hundred or so pages were quite difficult to get through and therefore I was put in a bit of a slump, not being motivated to continue reading as I figured it wasn’t going to live up to my expectations.
After procrastinating for a while, I decided that I would give Carry On a chance to prove itself amazingly hyped and it certainly lived up to that as I continued through.
It wasn’t a perfect read in my books, but the characters were interesting, their connections with one another and the plot plus the romance kept me going until I flew through the last couple hundred pages and left me wanting more.

Rainbow Rowell really ties together prophecies, magic, archenemies and romance into a story for fans of Harry Potter and Fangirl. No wonder Cath loved these characters so much!



Think Lovely Thoughts xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts