Thursday 15 December 2016

NEVERNIGHT BY JAY KRISTOFF

Rating: I honestly don’t have a number high enough to describe how much I love this book, like it’s waaaaay past any scale EVER.

Goodreads Book Description:
Destined to destroy empires, Mia Corvere is only ten years old when she is given her first lesson in death.

Six years later, the child raised in shadows takes her first steps towards keeping the promise she made on the day that she lost everything.

But the chance to strike against such powerful enemies will be fleeting, so if she is to have her revenge, Mia must become a weapon without equal. She must prove herself against the deadliest of friends and enemies, and survive the tutelage of murderers, liars and demons at the heart of a murder cult.

The Red Church is no Hogwarts, but Mia is no ordinary student.

The shadows love her. And they drink her fear.

My Review:
I was fortunate to have won an ARC from Harper Collins Australia, thank you Harper for sending me this marvellous beauty!

What can I say about this precious book? It’s so hard to find words at this point, when you fall in love with a book like I have with Nevernight, words are the hardest thing to come by. But I’ll give it a shot anyway.

“People often shit themselves when they die, did you know that?”

THAT FIRST SENTENCE…woah, now that’s one sure-fire way to grab my full attention and I know I can’t be the only one that felt the same way. Nevernight is honestly one of the most unique and breathtaking books I’ve ever read – I swear you will NOT regret picking it up!

I will warn you now that this is not YA. There are sex scenes that are very steamy and graphic, and there is also a fair amount of language and gory murder. However, if you do read more mature YA/New Adult books, I guarantee you will fall in love with Nevernight.

From the style of Jay Kristoff’s writing to the story line itself, it’s something unbelievably spectacular – a true wonder of the reading world, if I do say so. The story is told in two perspectives, one from the past and one in the present. To make it even more unique, Kristoff adds in footnotes to give the reader a lot of background information of the world.
This for me was quite difficult to wrap my head around, as the footnotes are fairly hefty with detailed information. But as I continued on, I became more familiar with the footnotes throughout the majority of the book.

At the beginning of Nevernight, it took me a while to wrap my head around the complex world building, but I didn’t really mind as it was beautifully constructed to the tiniest details.

The world Kristoff has created is like I said, absolutely breathtaking and so unique. I was completely immersed in every small detail, part of the story and learning more about the characters. The protagonist, Mia Corvere, is one hell of a kick-arse character; her sass and quick wit are very admirable. Mia has been through a lot in her life, she watch her father get hanged at the age of 10, she had her mother and brother taken from her. She was sent to die but she survived, she trained hard and grew into a strong, fearless young woman. She has the power over shadows, well sort of. Mia was 10 years old when she met Mister Kindly, a shadow cat whom eats away at Mia’s fear in her shadows, keeping her calm in some of the most confronting situations. The other characters in Nevernight are all easy to love; they’re full of intrigue and fun. Tric was a particular favourite of mine – if you’ve read Nevernight then you totally understand why. He and Mia develop a friendship that blooms into something more…and lord almighty, I loved this boy more than anything. He’s so broken and it just…sigh…it hurts my heart so much to hear his about his background and the reason he’s at The Red Church. A particularly favourite chapter from the book is chapter 19, the masquerade ball. Sigh. I kid you not, that is probably one of the most beautiful chapters I’ve ever been so privileged to read in my entire life.

I’m already an emotional mess again just writing this review so I’ll leave you with this. Nevernight was everything I hoped it would be, and more. I’ve fallen in love with every single aspect of this book; friendships, enemies, murders and a beautiful romance between two broken people.

I loved getting to know Mia and her relationship with Mister Kindly – I really want a shadow cat now – and reading how she felt when she got to feel all her fear too, it was terrifying and exciting and I JUST NEED MORE.

This book was so heartbreakingly stunning and I can’t handle the feels and the everlasting love I have for Nevernight. I hope you all buy this book, savour every word and love it as much as I do.



Think Lovely Thoughts xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts