Sunday 24 September 2017

TO ALL THE BOYS I'VE LOVED BEFORE BY JENNY HAN

 
Rating: 5 super gooey romantic sparkly stars

Synopsis:

What if all the crushes you ever had found out how you felt about them… all at once?

Sixteen-year-old Lara Jean Song keeps her love letters in a hatbox her mother gave her. They aren’t love letters that anyone else wrote for her; these are ones she’s written. One for every boy she’s ever loved—five in all. When she writes, she pours out her heart and soul and says all the things she would never say in real life, because her letters are for her eyes only. Until the day her secret letters are mailed, and suddenly, Lara Jean’s love life goes from imaginary to out of control. 

My Review:



Oh my gosssssssshhhhhhhhh. Where do I even begin to describe my love for this adorable mushy perfect little cupcake of a book? I am still reeling from all the feels I don’t even know how to put my feelings into a comprehensible sentence! This book was utterly fabulous and I couldn’t get enough of the fluffy romantic, cutesy adventurous mushy romantic ish in this beautiful book.
I tabbed this book 16 times, and I’ll proudly admit that I tabbed one page 3 times because that’s how ah-freaking-mazing this story is!
Be sure to note the following pictures to understand all the feels I went through:



Ok, ok I need to stop fangirling and actually get on with this review...

After constantly having recommendations for this book thrown at me left, right and center, I finally gave in and decided to read the first instalment of Lara Jean Song’s love letters.
And it completely exceeded my expectations, no wonder it’s being adapted into a film 
– and yes, I am F R E A K I N G    O U T  about that!



I read To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before in one day because it’s just one of those books that I couldn’t for the life of me put it down. It kept me hooked and I kept telling myself “one more chapter and then I’ll go buy food” ... yeah, I bought that food about 3 hours later. But that’s just how good Jenny Han’s writing is!!

To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before was such a perfect book and one I’ll definitely be re-reading in the future. Jenny Han’s writing is beautiful, easy to read and follow the storyline, yet it’s still so wonderful and emotionally complex. The characters were cute, sweet and funny, and don’t even get me started on my new-found love for Peter *sigh*



Alright, let me give you a little run down on my thoughts of each of the characters because I have a lot of feels that need to be shared:

Margot: She was the only character that slightly annoyed me throughout the book, but she had her reasons for the choices she made. Although she wasn’t in the book as much as other characters, I loved how in the end everything came together and this helped to really flesh out why I had a few little problems with her.

Josh: Oh, sweet innocent Josh. He was a beautiful guy with a heart of gold but I could not for the world ship him with Lara Jean. Yes, he was uber cute at times but then he would hit a swing and be hella cold shoulder towards Lara Jean. But he was a great addition to the storyline and Lara Jean’s life.

Peter: Drop dead beautiful boy with a bad side, I loved him so freaking much! The ever popular ‘bad boy’ of the school but he wasn’t who they painted him to be. He was nothing like that, he was sweet, considerate and a real charmer. If I could, I would read about him all day – P.S. Jenny if you’re reading this, please write a novella about Peter!

The Dad: He was super sweet and all I wanted to do was hug him. He had so much love for his daughters and trying to tackle the role of being both a dad/mum – major respect. One of my favourite scenes is the cooking scene where the food is super salty, it was absolutely hilarious and so relatable! The family dynamic was written beautifully and such a massive part of the story.

Kitty: Adorable cinnamon bun Kitty, I love her so so much! By far one of my favourite characters in the whole story. I did think she acted a little old for her age at times, but to be fair that’s just her. I adored her relationship with her family, Josh and eventually Peter. It was beautiful to watch.

I loved the multi-racial aspect of To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before is so refreshing as it’s not often seen in many stories. But I loved seeing the cultural features throughout the book.

Another part within Jenny’s book was her inclusion of Harry Potter references! Like yasss Jenny! You absolute queen! Thank you for adding this to the story, it made for one of the utmost cutest scenes ever! And let’s not forget to mention the Peter Parker costume. This book is A M A Z I N G, that’s all I’ll say.

The ending was brilliant, how the wall built between Lara Jean and Margot was broken down, not only for them but for me too. All the tension I had towards Margot dissipated and I really understood her decisions.


Aaand of course, in all author fashion, Jenny leaves us on a cliff-hanger to then continue on with the second and third instalments in Lara Jean’s love stories!


I urge every single one of you to read this book! It was super sweet, hilarious and truly heart-warming. Go pick up To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before from your local bookstore, library or wherever you get your reading fix! It’s shot straight to my favourites list as I’m sure it will for you too!


Think Lovely Thoughts xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts