Thursday 8 November 2018

THE HOLIDAY CALENDAR


Now, I know to some it may seem super early to be getting into the Christmas spirit...but to me, I’m one of those people who prepares for this time of year. As soon as Christmas in July (25th) hits, I am getting ready to cover every new Christmas movie, test out the new hot chocolate flavours and dance around to new & old Christmas music!

So for the next two months, I’ll be watching and reviewing each new Christmas movie that comes our way – letting you know if it’s worth the watch. Personally, I’m a huge fan of the Hallmark channel, I mean how can one not be? Gimme a bit of romance, Christmas magic and Candace Cameron Bure – let’s face it, she’s like the Hallmark Christmas star of every single movie they release...and I’m not mad about it, she oozes the Christmas spirit!

First up on our list for this year, The Holiday Calendar!

Rating: 3.5 stars

Description
Following the story of a struggling but talented photographer who inherits an antique advent calendar. But this is no ordinary calendar, as she soon finds out that its contents seem to be predicting the future.

Review
First cab off the ranks! And I must say, I didn’t mind this one, it wasn’t my favourite but it was a cute little story to get one in the mood for the Christmas season ahead. However, I do feel like this movie followed the rules for Christmas movies a bit too closely. I personally would have liked to see the movie take a few risks, rather than just getting the job done.

Kat Graham – best known for her role as Bonnie in The Vampire Diaries – is utterly charming in her role as leading lady, Abby Sutton. I'll admit that despite this flick not being the best Christmas movie out there, I loved Graham's performance. She introduces the audience to Abby as this gorgeous, charismatic, relatable artist who’s sitting on the fence between dreaming and struggling to find success as a photographer in both her personal and professional lives.

My take on this is that because The Holiday Calendar stuck so close to the traditional rules of Christmas movies, it was clear within the first few minutes of this movie where it would be going between Abby and Josh (Quincy Brown). And whilst they tried to spice things up by throwing Ty (Ethan Peck) into the mix, it doesn’t give much more than presenting the audience with a typical speed bump on Abby and Josh’s journey to realisation.

Now, I know that not all Christmas movies can be perfect, but I really had high hopes for this one. seeing that it was the first movie of the jolly season. In my opinion, The Holiday Calendar tried...unfortunately didn’t go to plan, but good on them for trying to kick off the holiday season in a good light.


But not to worry, we’ve got some highly anticipated holiday movies coming out this season and I look forward to reviewing every one possible!

Think Lovely Thoughts xo 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts