Wednesday 30 October 2019

LOSERS REAP HER BY HAYLEY STUMBO

Rating: 5 stars

**SPOILERS AHEAD FOR HIDE AND SEEK HER TRILOGY**

Goodreads Description:
It's been four years since Jackson Greene was tossed into prison for his heinous crimes. Four years of quiet for the Wait family, and peace for Charlotte. But in the silence, Jackson has found new ways to make noise.

With a final score to settle, Jackson sets his sights on Locke's Pointe and prepares to ruin Charlotte, once and for all. Blackmailing his brother Daniel into helping him get revenge, Jackson starts unravelling the threads of Charlotte's life, including Vance.

When Charlotte's world begins to crumble, the only probable cause is her worst nightmare. Secrets that were hidden in the corners of the last four years are uncovered, and Charlotte learns that everything is not as she once believed. When the pieces of truth add up to one big lie, she must differentiate between what has been a ruse and what she can hold onto.

Review:
Wow. What a ride!
After reading Hide And Seek Her Finders Keep Her, this final book in quite frankly, one of the best book series I’ve ever read – in my opinion – was truly the most emotional, heart-warming, gut-wrenching and perfectly unsettling end to this insane journey.

I said it in the review of the second book in this series and I’ll proudly say it again, I did not think I could take any more of an emotional ride with these characters but as always, Hayley threw me a big one and winded me with a punch of feels.


Picking up from the ending of Finders Keep Her where my heart, and that of readers of the previous book, were left gasping for air and tearing through a box of tissues whilst trying to not hyperventilate. Hayley sure knows how to keep her readers absolutely begging for more of this gritty series!
We continue to follow the lives of Vance, Charlotte, and Riley – who for all our sakes, miraculously survived his attack at the end of Book 2. The events of this third installment settle around Charlotte’s new life as wife to Vance, dealing with PTSD from the past, Riley’s road to recovery and how he distracts himself by coordinating events with his sister in-law. It is very much a breezy beginning as we are introduced back into the luxurious lives of Wait family, however, trouble in paradise is brewing. Jackson’s ghost remains, unbeknownst to our protagonists that the convicted criminal, in fact, is no longer behind bars but plotting his final demise of the family.

Unlike the other two books in the series, we gain a fresh perspective in Losers Reap Her where we hear more from Jackson Greene himself, his past and how/who made him the unhinged psychopath he is today. Starting with his first victim, his abusive family life, the undying love he holds for Charlotte and how he got involved with the Wait’s.

A plot full of the perfect amount of twists, numerous flashbacks, and fresh perspectives of the ever-unsettling and manipulative Jackson Greene. Losers Reap Her was the right mix of everything this series needed to close it. As always, I won’t spoil the ending but I’ll briefly summarise it in the following gifs:


Good luck figuring out that one, I sure as hell did not see that ending coming AT ALL.


I’m not going to lie, I absolutely loved this climax to the trilogy. Hayley poured her heart and soul into this series. The final book really shows how passionate she is about these characters, this journey she’s taken them on, how she writes their perspectives, choices and actions, etc. She echoes to her reader the emotion she pours into Losers Reap Her, it is a rollercoaster of emotions, pulling at several heartstrings, making you gasp for air and continue to turn the page even after you tell yourself you ought to take a break – you just keep on reading!

Now, I never thought I’d be saying this – especially after finishing this series – but in the end, my favourite character was actually…Jackson? Take it easy and bear with me whilst I explain. I do not and never will associate my values and beliefs with that of a sociopath, but Jackson just has this magnetism to him. He’s slick, knows the right buttons to push, he can turn on the charm but unleash a monster inside within an instant. But he just is so clever and knows exactly what he’s doing.
I’m sure Hayley loved writing his character further, developing his backstory and perspective, which I will say was a welcome change to see the mind of a sociopath develop over time. His family’s upbringing, his first killing and the meticulously perfect plan he put in motion over many months’ time was so intriguing and yet so underhanded.

‘Kind of like how you managed to be successful in life, you knew all the right people. When it comes to the low-lifes of the world, I know all the right people.’

That single quote from our sinister antagonist. Chills.
From the whole series, that is the one quote that not only drew out goosebumps and had me hungry for more, but also the one quote that echoed in the back of my mind every time I picked up this book to read more. Jackson Greene, he’s one gritty poet.

Overall, Hayley could not have given this series a better ending. She tied it up in the perfect, yet heartbroken, little bow. I certainly will miss these characters I’ve grown so accustomed to over the years. But some doors must close for new exciting doors to open to further tales and wild emotional journeys to be written about.

As many of you know, I have been with Hayley on her journey from the moment she was sending out beta copies of Hide and Seek Her, and I will forever be incredibly indebted to her and her amazing work. Hayley, you’ve not only given me so many stories that I have fallen head over heels with but also a lifetime of a friendship with you.
Thank you for inviting me into the world of your writing, being able to review these incredible books you’ve worked tirelessly to put out there in the world – you know I’ll always be one of your biggest supporters and drop everything to read one of your books.

If you guys haven’t already checked out Hayley and her crazy-talented writing, be sure to head on over & pick up a fresh read from her collection of books and enjoy the chaos that ensues with every word she writes!

Hit up Hayley on her Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for the latest updates in her writing journey and more on these amazing books of hers!

Think lovely thoughts xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts