Saturday 31 December 2016

2016: A YEAR IN REVIEW

It’s that time of year again! Where 2016 comes to a close and I reflect on my favourite and least favourite books, characters I fell in love with and ones I despised, and reminisce on the wonderful worlds I visited.

Grab a drink, some food and join me as we reflect on 2016!

1.    NUMBER OF BOOKS READ?
I completed my Goodreads Reading Challenge of 40 books in 2016, however I read one more book and made it to 41! YAY!
That’s 2 years in a row that I’ve completed my challenges, last year’s being 30 books.

2.    NUMBER OF PAGES READ?
I read a total of 11640 pages, which is quite insane for me but I’m very proud of my achievement.

3.    NUMBER OF RE-READS?
Only 1, I re-read Carry On by Rainbow Rowell twice, as I did an assignment on it for school.

4.    GENRE YOU READ THE MOST FROM?
Almost half the books I read in 2016 were contemporary books, but I also read quite a lot of fantasy too.

5.    BEST BOOK OF 2016?

Now I’ve been thinking this over for quite a few days leading up to this post and I’ve made a decision. Although there were a lot of fantastic books I read this year – I rarely came across any I rated less than 3 stars. The title of BEST BOOK OF 2016 goes to…



This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab
I’ve never read a book like this beauty that Victoria Schwab has created! I adore the world, the characters – August, my beautiful monster baby – it was a truly A+ book and I still reel from the feels!

Special mention to Nevernight by Jay Kristoff – y’all have seen my review, I could barely form words afterwards. Highly recommend.

6.    BOOK YOU WERE EXCITED TO READ BUT DIDN’T LOVE?
I didn’t necessarily not love We Were Liars by E. Lockhart, it just was very over hyped for me and wasn’t all that I had expected of it.

7.    BEST SERIES STARTED IN 2016? BEST SEQUEL OF 2016?
I loved reading Passenger by Alexandra Bracken and I’m desperately waiting for January 3rd to come so I can get my greedy bookworm hands on the sequel Wayfarer.
I read many sequels this year but my favourite has to be Finders Keep Her by one of my favourite people in the world, H.B. Stumbo! She’s one of few authors that I will immediately drop anything to read when she releases a new book.
 
8.    FAVORITE NEW AUTHOR YOU DISCOVERED IN 2016?
Lisa Gardner. Hands down! After reading Find Her, I have been completely thrown into the genre of crime/thriller and I’m planning on going through a crime/thriller phase at the beginning of 2017.

9.    BOOK YOU WERE UNABLE TO PUT DOWN?
Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff, I read through this in 6-8 hours and OMG I don’t know why I was so hesitant to read it!

10. BOOK YOU READ IN 2016 THAT YOU ARE MOST LIKELY TO READ IN 2017?
Talk Under Water by Kathryn Lomer OR The Sound Of Serendipity by Cynthia A. Rodriguez – I loved both these books and in all honesty, I miss their stories a lot.
 
11.  FAVORITE COVER OF A BOOK YOU READ IN 2016?
Although it isn’t released until Feb 8 2017, One Hundred Breaths Later by Hayley Stumbo has the most beautifully artistic, aesthetically pleasing book cover of 2016. It perfectly matches all the emotion that Hayley has written in this poetry book.

12.  MOST MEMORABLE CHARACTER OF 2016?
Charlotte Davis – Girl In Pieces by Kathleen Glasgow. Oh my gosh, where do I begin? Kathleen knows how much her book meant to me and how much Charlotte meant to me. Her story was so raw and rich in emotion, how she grew to learn about the world and what it was to live in today’s society. Bless you, Kathleen, for creating a character as pure and beautiful as Charlotte.

12. BOOK THAT HAD YOU GASPING FOR AIR BECAUSE FEELS?
Me Before You by Jojo Moyes, this story and book were so emotional that I was spotted hunched over and sobbing in PUBLIC 5 times whilst reading it! Jojo Moyes sure knows how to break a reader’s heart in a very painfully good way.

13. MOST BEAUTIFULLY WRITTEN BOOK READ IN 2016?
The Witch’s Kiss by Katharine and Elizabeth Corr, I just love it when authors include flashback sequences in books! It’s so good to get more background of the character’s story, especially Jack’s story. The majority of the book was narrated by Merry and I just connected with her so well! I mean, how could you not fall in love with a devilishly handsome imprisoned slave of an evil sorcerer who rips out hearts in his spare time?

14. FAVORITE PASSAGE/QUOTE FROM A BOOK YOU READ IN 2016? 
a)  “We don’t ever leave that old world behind. We just create a new one.” 
- Holding Up The Universe by Jennifer Niven

b)  “I read somewhere,” said Kate, “that people are made of stardust.”
He dragged his eyes from the sky. “Really?”
“Maybe that’s what you’re made of. Just like us.”
And despite everything, August smiled.
      This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab
 
15. TOP 7 MOST ANTICIPATED 2017 RELEASES?
Wayfarer by Alexandra Bracken
Nevernight 2 by Jay Kristoff (not pictured)
Our Dark Duet by Victoria Schwab
The Witch’s Tears by Katharine & Elizabeth Corr
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon
Right Behind You by Lisa Gardner


And there you have it! I hope you all had a fabulous year of reading in 2016 and am as excited as I am for all the amazing releases and hours of reading to come in 2017!


Think Lovely Thoughts xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts