Sunday 17 April 2016

THE SIDEKICKS BY WILL KOSTAKIS

Rating: 4.5 stars
Goodreads Book Description: The Swimmer. The Rebel. The Nerd.

All Ryan, Harley and Miles had in common was Isaac. They lived different lives, had different interests and kept different secrets. But they shared the same best friend. They were sidekicks. And now that Isaac's gone, what does that make them?

My Review: I picked up The Sidekicks for The YA Circle book club and I was excited but also unsure of how to approach this book, I didn’t really have any major plot expectations going into this but it was totally worth the read!

I originally thought it was just a book about 3 teenagers who are simply pulled together when the boy they are all very close with dies.
But it was so much more than that. It was about how each of the 3 boys are trying to find their place in the world, taking wrong terms and having to face the consequences. There are elements of the loss of Isaac and how they each dealt with their loss of a wonderful friend however the story managed to keep Isaac’s spirit alive through recounting memories of Isaac.

It was so special to see how the 3 boys all ended up interacting with each other, standing up for one another and helping to overcome the loss of Isaac.

I was fortunate to meet the lovely Will Kostakis at The YA Circle April meeting and he was so down to earth, sweet and hilarious. He told all about how he got published – probably the funniest story I’ve heard – and answered all our questions about him and his books.

I’m very excited to see what Will produces in the future as I’m sure it’ll be wonderful.



Think Lovely Thoughts xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts